Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Recycling Candles

Save your old, used candles to make new ones. I collect the scraps until I get enough to make this project worth while because it can be very messy.

I use a coffee cup warmer to melt the wax at a low temperature, but you can use a double boiler. My method takes all day, but it doesn't need much tending to, which means I can go about my day and not be confined to the project. I work from home. Use your brain; and don't leave this unattended all day while you are not home.

Stir every few hours to ensure even melting. I admit I like to play in the wax and stir it about ten times an hour and make a huge mess on the counter top. I've learned to tape thick layers of newspaper to the counter to make clean up easier.

I purchase non-smoking wicks online and set them into the jar after the wax melts. That way, I don't have to pour the hot liquid.

For more information about making candles at home, download my free PDF with instructions
http://writersinthesky.com/pdf/Essay-Candlemaking.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment